I know some of you might think, what the heck I am doing posting this here in my mom blog. You might think I'm crazy for doing so. Well, let me just say that what I'm about to talk about, it has EVERYTHING to do with being a mom. It will affect us mothers in one way or another. I will explain why as I go along.
Japan was hit by a record breaking 9.0 earth quake, shortly following that, they had a tsunami. Once the chaos settled down, or so they thought, they realized that the Nuclear power plants, that had lost power, were over heating, and were working their way towards a melt down. Then, shortly after that, a blizzard broke out in many parts of the fragile and destroyed country.
What horror these people are going through. It breaks my heart for them. I can not phantom living through so many destructions and one right after another. My thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone of them.
Here are some more facts.
While reactors 2, 5, and 6 are stable, only 5 and 6 have began to go to shut down cool down stage, and as of this moment pose no threat.
The main concerns are reactors 1, 3 and 4. One because it is unknown of the damage done there since they are primarily concerned with cooling down 3 and 4. Reactor 3 is far worse than 4, but both have significant worries.
I have been watching CNN a better part of the day. I have been watching the constant news breaking updates. I have been discussing things with fellow women.
If the worst case scenario were to happen, if one, or multiple reactors melted down, the plume would make it to Russia LONG before the prevailing winds swooped it up and pushed it our way. As far as a Nuclear fallout, America is in no "real" harm or danger in regards to that if it were to happen.
The American government is voluntarily evacuating all military personal's spouses and children/dependents. Colleges are sending home all foreign college students.
Countries such as France, Italy, Australia, and Britain are flying in their own airplanes to also evacuate their citizens in Japan.
They are doing this as a precaution. For now that is. Places like China and middle Asia are allowing Japanese wanting to leave Japan the option of coming to their countries.
Major companies that the US and many other countries buy from shut their doors and told their employees that they are indefinitely closed until further notice. We are talking big companies like Nissan, Cannon, Nikon, amongst many others. Many clothing producing companies as well. Some of those companies came on saying that they would either be permanately relocating to another country, or temporarily relocating to a different company until Japan was deemed safe.
A small amount of radiation has seeped into the ocean. Meaning sea life that we fish and eat will no longer be "safe" to fish and eat.
The American and Japanese Government are doing things slowly, releasing information slowly as to not cause global hysteria and panic.
What exactly does all of this mean to us, to American's, to Mother's like you and me.
Well, the cause and affect cycle has begun. Because it's in the air, it could eventually cause our flying food to become dangerous to eat. COULD, not will.
It could cause our sea food to also become contaminated and not suitable for eating. A great deal of our sea food comes from the Pacific ocean. This means that the prices of seafood will sky rocket, and we can expect a bigger increase on the western front that the eastern front because it will now cost more to ship from the Atlantic ocean to where we are. This could and most likely will hurt our already frail economy. Again this COULD happen, not necessarily will. No telling until it does happen.
We get most of our manufactured goods and vehicles from Japan. Since most large manufacturing plants and companies have closed and shut their doors they need new places to go, IF they are choosing to go at all. IF they chose to come to America this will un-doubtfully help our economy some. However, IF they chose to go some where else, there is no telling at this point if it will do good or bad for our economy.
IF America, as we should decide to HELP Japan out, and help them rebuild, we can cut a large bulk of our debt out. We owe Japan SO much money it's not even funny. IF we were to help them, and rebuild them, then we can see a part of our debt go away. This help however will have to be mostly pro bono or close to it.
So you see what affects it could have in your daily life? Just think for a moment, with what's going on in the middle east, we all ready see the cause and affect on our gas prices. We can expect to see the same cause and affect on clothing, certain grains/foods, products such as cameras and cars among many others. So again I ask, you see what affects it will have on your life?
Now there are many factors that can go either way for us, it really depends on a lot of different things. In our best interest to jump start our economy and get out of some debt, we ought to get those large companies to agree to open here, that would open jobs up. If jobs are opened, people are earning money, if they are earning, they are providing, if they are providing then they are buying. You see where I'm going with this. Also if we were to help re build Japan, we'd be able to knock out debt we owe them, not to mention we'd have even MORE jobs open up. Mostly military and military contractors, but still none the less, jobs.
So just because it's happening in Japan, doesn't mean it wont affect us. They say a butterfly can flap their wings half way around the world it could potentially cause a hurricane. Think about it. It may not affect you in your daily life right now like it is to the Japanese people, but it will eventually affect you.
Also, you may want to keep in mind that two of our Nuclear Power Plants also sit on highly active fault lines. One in the Eastern part of the Country, and one in Washington.
Not to mention the people here in Arizona would be screwed. We have two Nuclear Power Plants that we sit in the middle of. IF we were to feel the aftershocks and ramifications of a 9.0 earthquake from California, we could potentially have the same issue that Japan is having, except times two.
Yes we are essentially out of harms way when it comes to the possible threat of a Nuclear Fallout reaching our soil, but we are not out of harms way for the cause and affect of it all.
Just things to think about being a mother in your family. How will it ultimately affect you, your children, your family? Things you take for granted, will now cost a lot more. I know for me, I love our weekly eat out at a fish restaurant, will likely not exist if the price of fish sky rockets as they are predicting. I LOVE my lobster and Crab, and would be sad if I couldn't have it, but it's not a necessity of life. If I only got it on very special occasions, then I'd be okay with that, but I wouldn't pay over a certain price for it every week if it went up.
I hope this is informative, not meant to scare, not meant to cause hysteria. Just informative. Just to let you know that it may not be here on our home front, but it will affect us some way some how. The extent of the affect is unknown at the moment, but cause and affect will catch up to us.
That's all I have for now. Have a good night.
I'm that kind of Mother....
I'm the type of mother that will research something as long as it takes. I'm that mother that has to be informed, read reviews, take the advice of the Pediatrician and the Academy of Pediatrics Association. Yes, I'm the mother that has learned from other mothers what not to do, and what to do. I have learned what is good to purchase, and what is a waste of time and money.
I believe in a balanced sleep, play, eat schedule. I believe in a balanced diet. Most importantly I believe in following your guts and being on top of your child's clues.
I don't believe in having to call the pediatrician for every little thing. I believe I can do most of the foot work by research online. I want to be informed so I constantly check recalls, and check toys out before giving them to my son.
My son by no means lives in a box, but I will provide for him, and keep him safe when I can. After all, he is a child, and children will be children, isn't that the point of having a good childhood?
I'm not a super mom, I can't get everything done, but I have managed to get a good solid routine down for just about everything, that leaves plenty of time for me to play with my son and take him on play dates and adventures. Leaves me plenty of time to work on my passion and home business. No, I'm just a mom that found what works best for her family.
I cloth diaper and sometimes when it's more convenient I disposable diaper, make my own home made baby food, and sometimes I buy store brand baby food. I breastfeed, because I believe in giving my child every possible good start I can. I do cry it out for bed time and naps when called for. I read every day to my child. I believe in teaching my child young about good manners, habits, and most importantly about God. I do not co sleep because it forms hard to break habits. I do not believe in night lights, because it also forms poor habits. I do give my son a paci because it helps with his teething, and when he's just wanting to be fussy; we joke and call it our mute button.
I'm not your typical stay at home mom, or house wife, I'm so much more.
In this blog you will venture through my first year as a mother. It will detail what I have researched. It will details nutritional habits for my son, growth toys and products. It will detail all that is important to a mother.
So enjoy and I hope to learn from you and perhaps you can learn from me. Yes, I'm neurotic, I make schedules, calendars, and detailed nutritional guides. I want the best for my son, nothing less will suffice.
No comments:
Post a Comment